Friday 10 June 2016

Seven Quick Takes, Episode 15: in which my 2-year-old has a girlfriend

The end of last week was a bit chaotic, so this is the first 7QT of the month around here...


1. Yesterday, the childminder informed me that one of the girls she looks after had been kissing R, and he'd been kissing her back. Honestly. Two-year-olds these days...
(I suspect the fact he's only there one day a week gives him an air of mystery, or something. That, and he really is a terrible flirt). I don't think I'm quite ready to deal with a daughter-in-law yet.

2. In other, somewhat similar news, Mx appears to have acquired an imaginary friend. His (or her) name is "melon-l'eau", which is a literal translation of "watermelon" from English to French. The actual word is pastèque, just in case anyone was wondering. Anyway, this friend apparently lives a long way away, and would have to go on a boat to come and see us. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

3. Mx, Es and I went on a school trip yesterday. We went to a wildfowl reserve. They had baby moorhens, which are possibly the cutest baby birds in existence.

The picture doesn't do them justice, but you get the idea. They're like little balls of black fluff with a red beak, and I think I want one.

4. Black Books.  I understand we're about fifteen years behind everyone else here, but how did I not know about this series before? Ze Husband and I have replaced our Friday evening 30 Rock binge (ok, ok, three episodes, any more and we'd fall asleep) with this for the last couple of weeks. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the entire series is available for free (in the UK) on All4. If you like Fr Ted and The IT Crowd, you'll like this.

5. This week, Es has decided that her sister is the Funniest Person Ever. Es is a very (very) happy baby, but she doesn't usually laugh out loud - she prefers to express joy by lying on her back and kicking her legs a lot. For some reason, however, she now bursts into giggles every time she sees Mx. That right there is a Very Good Reason to have lots of children, in my book.

6. My sister is applying for a summer job as... a fairy. No, that's not a typo. A garden centre near my parents' is looking for people to guide children around some kind of enchanted garden exhibit. How amazing would that look on a CV? "Employment history: Fairy". I worked as a house-elf (read: chambermaid) then a stores gnome (read: logistics operative) when I was at university, so it seems like "mythical" jobs might run in the family...

7. There's been a lot of talk about the film Me Before You over the last couple of weeks, so I decided to see what it was all about (not by seeing the film, you understand. I haven't been in a cinema since I went to see Les Misérables with my dad, and before that, it was the last Harry Potter. No, I looked up the plot on Wikipedia). When I got to the end, my jaw literally dropped open. WHAT are these people thinking? Maybe I'm naive, and yes, I live in my own little bubble with limited media exposure, but I just cannot get my brain around the fact that people consider that "romantic" in any way.

On that note, R is requesting "breakfast" (at 4.30pm), so I need to go before he starts helping himself to food. Over and out!

Linking up with Kelly for 7QT. 


 

1 comment:

  1. Seeing your kids have fun together is the absolute best part of having 2 or more children. The best.

    We've never had any imaginary friends over here but I'm looking forward to hearing more about this Watermelon person in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete